Friday, April 27, 2012

Building the Republic P-47D Thunderbolt Tarheel Hal

This is a premium model designed by [Dave Winfield] available here.


This was a fairly simple model to assemble. The instructions left allot to be desired but I didn't need step by step instructions. It's edge to edge construction. I would recommend printing the formers on 100lb card stock, I didn't and it made forming the wings a bit difficult. For the wire used on the landing gear I used a paper clip.
The string is crochet thread.


I bought this kit for 1 purpose ... I'm going to make it fly. I wish there was a way to turn the flattened kit into a 3d model, but there appears to be no software to do that. Oh well, I should be able to modify the kit in photo shop or illustrator adding a motor mount, mounts for the tiny servos, make a hatch to get to the electronics and battery. The air frame is only 2 grams heaver than the flimsy foam plane I'm getting the parts from so weight shouldn't be a problem. getting a good air foil and wing dihedral will most likely going to be the hang up. I will not be using a paper propeller. There currently 2 propellers I can use with this micro brush less motor.


In the mean time check out the build photos for this display model.

















No comments:

Post a Comment